Thursday, April 16, 2015

Activating a Dormant Malaysian CIMB Savings Account whilst Overseas

:: Updated! Issue Resolved! See Latest Post! ::

Googling this title might not bring up a lot of information for people who need to know but many people are certainly familiar with getting notices about inactive accounts and steps to take to activate dormant accounts within the country.

But what if you weren't in the country when the bank notifies you?

I recently found out that my CIMB savings account became dormant (just two days ago) and not only did I not know it was about to become dormant, I had money transferred to that dormant account to pay some bills. Now I can't use that money.

What should I do?

Situation:
1. Bank probably sent notification to my address in Malaysia (but I wouldn't be able to get it anyway because I'm not in Malaysia).

2. 1.5 years ago, I informed the bank that I won't be in the country and would like to be able to access my accounts from overseas. Was told this was possible and that I won't have anything to worry about. Yet, they fail to inform me directly of my account becoming dormant.

3. Online sites suggest that I make withdrawals from my bank account to activate it... at any branch in Malaysia. (I'm not coming home just to make a bank withdrawal.)

Solution:
1. Call CIMB International and tell them about my current situation. (Problem: No one is ever available at the customer service center and it's freaking expensive to make phone calls from Japan just to wait for an hour for no one to pick up.)

2. Make a withdrawal myself.


I mean, I don't really have much choice here. Where am I going to go for help? CIMB won't pick up my calls. I can't get my family to do anything for me. I've tried with the Maybank account but no luck. They say that I need to be there in person. Which is bull.

Banks these days have to consider people who need to travel for their jobs. I think, I may never want to come back to Malaysia.


+ Updated +
Part 2
Latest Post

4 comments:

AM said...

I am also in the same situation. I appreciate if you can share the CIMB form/pdf provided by CRS agent and/or its procedures/requirements to activate the dormant account. Email to amivoisin2@hushmail.com Many thanks.

- k o R i - said...

I'm really sorry for not noticing this comment sooner but if you read my latest update you would know that there were no forms provided. It was all done through active communication with a living and breathing human being working for CIMB as a customer support officer. My solution may not be the same as yours but I initiated the complaint through Facebook, which is hardly a formal setting for managing bank accounts. You could try the same and keep active contact with a customer service officer who should be able to guide you through this problem.

Unknown said...

I have the same problem, I am calling the customer service but none picks up.. have you solve ur problem? If yes, Plz let me know how. Thanks

Mahmood said...

and for me, they closed my account while I am outside Malaysia and can't even let me know the exact reason for the same. I am confused and worried because I had funds in the account